Why We Do It - What Drives Us
Driven by our Clients
The habit of allowing our clients to lead us ahead is in our DNA.
The truth is, we’d never have started the company if it wasn’t for the case studies and testimonials that came back from that small group of early adopters who liked our unconventional thinking and were willing to try something different. Their success was too hard to ignore and made it impossible to not build a business around our radical ideas. Most days, we’re thankful we listened.
On a mission
We're very clear on our Vision and our Mission, as well as the Values that guide and define us. They shape our products and services, and lie at the foundation of every action and decision we take. We're happy to share them with anyone who's interested.
A different take on CSR
When most people think about Corporate Social Responsibility, they think about initiatives companies take to ‘green up’, reduce their footprint and to find meaningful ways to give back to the communities in which they operate. They don’t usually think about their staffing process as a CSR initiative. But we do.
Think about it… the prices we all pay when people are in the wrong job, or stuck in an environment that is wrong for them. We’ve been in that situation in the course of our careers; odds are you have too. Think about the stress you felt, the wasted energy, the lost productivity. Perhaps it washed into your personal life, straining relationships – or worse.
Fact is, the traditional approach to hiring gets it wrong far more often than it gets it right… resulting in an epidemic of disengagement, apathy and waste. It’s a pretty heavy footprint that directly impacts people and communities.
We’re changing lives. So say people our clients have hired when they finally found the right place to work and contribute.
If you’re thinking about CSR, think of us as your quiet stand for a better world.
How we choose to give back
Our team have chosen a variety of things that are meaningful to them; we’re proud to support them in making a difference in the community:
- Halifax Humane Society – we are an office full of animal lovers and support the SPCA in its efforts to make life better for all animals and to prevent animal cruelty. In fact, most of us have rescue-animals at home. Saffy, the HiringSmart Director of Greetings (DOG) was rescued from the local shelter 6 years ago. We sponsor a cat cage at the metro shelter and are in full support of other fundraising efforts throughout the year.
- NS Lung Association – CVO Tim Brennan is an active member of the Board of Directors of the Lung Association of Nova Scotia, and as participants in the annual Lung Run/Nordic Walk from 2008-2010, the HiringSmart Team has raised over $10,000 to help send kids to Camp Treasure Chest, a camp for kids with severe athsma.
- Ronald McDonald House is dedicated to helping seriously ill or disabled children by providing them and their families a caring and supportive "home away from home" while they are receiving treatment. HiringSmart and a number of our Partners contribute time and services to this worthwhile cause. If you’d like to add your support, you can do so click here
- FOCUS 2040 – we are actively involved in sponsoring this national business competition, one of the few that challenges participants to consider people in the future of work. focus2040.ca
- Belize – we are supporting the reconstruction of a school, financially and with manpower.
For a very long time, we have been measuring things in hiring and recruitment that have little or no relevance outside HR... and that completely miss the boat when it comes to predicting employee enga...
Thriving in the new economy requires careful workforce management and strategic leadership. A focused, engaged workforce can be your ace in the hole.
Place employee fit first and then align their knowledge and experience. You'll find that you have higher productivity in the workplace and deeper employee commitment. Everyone wins.